Evaluation

 For both of my idents, I wanted them to represent what Food Network's identity was; I attempted to convey the message of the 'power and joy of food' to Food Network's audience that it would be shown to and create something that would appeal towards their interests and feel as if the ident was aimed and spoke to them as it suited their interests as a whole.

I created two idents: An Autumn season ident, and a Winter season ident. In both of these idents, apart from having two different themes, they both shared a relaxing a calm, relaxing mood in the ident that I wanted to present to the viewers. During my pre-production research, I discovered that Food Network has a much more older audience (18-49 age demographic.) This audience when tuning into Food Network would expect to watch: calm and relaxing food shows that are easy to keep up with and sit back and watch. After gaining this information, I planned out an ident that would illustrate these ideals and views of the channels that the audience would feel like it suited Food Network and was aimed at them (the viewers.)

For my first Ident, I created it based around the theme of the Autumn Season as it would be to air around that time. In my shots, I used props and foods that someone would usually associate with that season so if someone turned the channel over, they would get a clear understanding of what type of programmes will be shown on the channel this month and then the viewers can decide if any of the shows that would be aired that month would interest them and that they would watch.

 The ident presents: slow fade ins, the viewer could feel relaxed and calm watching. I also wanted to use transitions to correctly flow one clip to the next. For example: when the pumpkin is finished carving and is turned around I used a dissolve effect so it would become darker and transition to where the pumpkin is lit up. The usage of more transitions onto my ident was to make the ident flow more smoothly to one scene to another, it also makes it more attractive to the viewer otherwise the ident would be jumping all the time making it unsatisfactory to watch. It also helped me convey a calm, relaxing mood in the ident that I wanted to present to the viewers. I added more effects such as: orange tint/hue effects to the rest of the ident so that the audience got more of an 'autumn-feel' as the colour of orange and warmer colours are usually associated with that season. I also added it to make the effects more consistent instead of having it on just one. 

As I said in my other report, I made some shots shorter such as: the shot of the oven being open as it was too boring and so that the whole ident was trimmed down to 30 seconds; if the clips were too long, the viewers would get bored of looking at that shot until it moved on to the next shot. I believe that my ident was effective as in my ident I established the purpose of Food Network's channel and what it stands for. I also successfully created the theme of the Autumn Season and presented what viewer's could expect to see on the show.

For my second ident, I created it based around the theme of the Winter Season as it would be to air around that time. Like my Autumn ident, I used props and foods that  someone would usually associate with that season so if someone turned the channel over, they would get a clear understanding of what type of programmes will be shown on the channel this month and then the viewers can decide if any of the shows that would be aired that month would interest them and that they would watch. 

The ident presents: soft effects with brighter, blue-ish colours to create a Winter theme to the viewers watching. I also used colours on fonts such as: green and red (colours usually associated with festivities.) I used sparkle effects on the Christmas tree at the beginning so it stands out and the viewer can see that this ident is for Winter/the holiday season. 

I also trimmed some clips down so that they were shorter and some clips just don't cut out like the ending in my draft video such as the Christmas dinner at the end cut to black when it wasn't supposed to and it was too long and may of been boring for the viewers to look at a still image.

To draw the viewer's attention to the advertisement more, I added sound effects as: jingling bells and a Santa Claus audio effect to get the viewers excited for the holiday-related shows that are going to be shown on the channel and give them an idea of what will be shown to them next. I also added festive and relaxing music that the viewer can listen to whilst watching the ident to get the feel of the holiday season and so that the ident is calming and does not have too much going on that the viewer has to keep up with, as the channel that I have created these idents for are for cooking shows and does not have a lot of action going on. 

I believe that my ident was effective as in my ident I established the purpose of Food Network's channel again like my first ident and what it stands for. I also successfully created the theme of the Winter Season and presented what viewer's could expect to see on the show and stir up hype/get them excited for what is to come. 

After receiving feedback from my drafts, I got to work on what feedback I took in changed things accordingly. I changed parts of my ident to improve it. For example: I decided to make the text on the shots where the programmes are shown bolder and more visible. I added an outline so that the text would stand out more and look bolder instead of having it barely visible on the clip on both of my idents as they were barely visible to the viewers. For my Autumn Ident, Another thing that I fixed was the ending shot where it felt out of place compared to all of the other ones that I had used. Instead of having a tree at the end, I had a shot of hot chocolate being brewed so it was more in line with the rest of the ident with the process of making food, cooking competitions, etc. to match what Food Network is about. 

Near the end of my Autumn Ident, I added a voice over effect of me talking over saying what shows would come up next and increased the volume of my voice-over and lowered the music at that moment so the viewers could hear me correctly. However, the audio came out distorted and to fix it in my final ident I had to re-record it so the voice-over would sound just right. For both of my idents, there were a lot of jump cuts in the first drafts. To fix this, I added transitions to make the flow of the clips more smoother and appealing to look at. I also fixed audio levels where they would jump to the next audio and make it sound unsmooth. I lowered the pitch and added fade ins so they sounded smoother and more relaxing to listen to. 

I believe that there is a good improvement from my draft to my final idents. In the drafts of my idents, the flow of the clips felt less smooth and there was a lot of jump cuts. The idents overall felt really jumbled and was less appealing to look at. However, after taking in some feedback I was able to fix my ident to make it look more appealing to watch and make the name of Food Network so that the audience wouldn't mistake it for anything else and continue to stay loyal to Food Network and watch their shows after seeing what it has to offer. 

I believe that my idents have changed a lot from the first plan to the final video. In my planning, I wanted a lot more props and more people to star in my ident(s). However, I found that I was not able to get more actors to act in my ident. I also wanted more visual effects such as green screens but found that it would be too difficult to create and would take  too much time. I also wanted to show more foods in both of my ident but could not so I just stuck to 1-3 types of foods. The shots that I took differentiated from the sketches that was drawn out in the final ident as I took different shots all together. I also planned to head to the park to get shots but ended up just sticking in my kitchen to film. 


Comments